Shiatsu with Simon Givertz

Thursday 21 January 2010

I Ching confusion

In the Five Element Blog I have started to consider the Elements related to the I Ching. Well, it is confusing!! The trigrams of the I Ching are made up of three Yin or Yang lines. Three Yin lines is Earth and three yang lines is heaven and all the changes in between are the movement from heaven to earth and vice versa. The principle is easy in itself but when you start looking at the interpretations of each mix of Yin/Yang and which element or direction they refer to the movement of Yin to Yang becomes really hard to contemplate. There is no simple Yin/Yang symbol here, rather a looping crossing journey going backward and forward and around.

Using boolean logic and starting from 000 as we introduce 1's we get 001, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110, 111 but this is not the accepted order of change in the I Ching, rather it is 000, 001, 101, 011, 111, 110, 010, 100.

So watch this space and I will try to elucidate some thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, interesting diagram you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ray,

    I got off the web. There are lots of versions and I am now reading about how the order of the trigrams was decided. I'll post soon

    ReplyDelete

 
^ Scroll to Top